The Art Factory of White Mills is located at 736 Texas Palmyra Highway (Route 6), White Mills, PA 18473.
Rich in history, this 8,000 square foot building has worn many hats… We are still researching and verifying the stories of this wonderful building. If you have any additional information that you can provide us with, we would love to hear from you.
- Built originally to house the Heptasophs Association, it opened its doors on April 05, 1913.
The Original Order of Heptasophs was founded in 1852. It is listed as one of the country’s earliest fraternal orders. Heptasophs, derived from Latin roots meaning “seven and wise” was translated to “Mystical Seven”. It was a Conservative based college fraternity, primarily located in the South. Membership dwindled as a result of and the outcome of the Civil War.
- This building briefly housed Stourbridge Lion railroad workers; providing a clean, dry place to eat and sleep.
- During World War II, it offered a distraction from the stresses of the world. It was used as a “sock hop” dance hall, roller rink, and a basketball court (located on the 2nd floor, the wood floor still bears marks from the center court!).
- Later, a successful knitting factory opened, eventually becoming a sewing factory of children’s pajamas and blankets. Fabric scraps are still “popping up” in the yard. Handprints of many of the factory workers are still visible in the cement floor!
- Since late August 2016, the factory is now home to a unique art gallery. This community art center hosts over 53 local artists. With all mediums of art on display; oil, acrylic, watercolor, abstract and mixed-medium painting, photography, drawing, pastels, ceramics, metal sculptures, hand-made jewelry and so much more – The Art Factory is a “place where talent and appreciation meet”. Prices are as varied as the art it offers. Layaway is available. Give the gift of class… Art classes that is! Many art classes (for adults and children) are being offered. Visit us at TheArtFactoryofWhiteMills.com for more information. Like us on Facebook at The Art Factory of White Mills.
The Art Factory of White Mills is open daily from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm. We are always seeking new artists.
Please call Jerry at 570 251-1181 for additional information.